Our mission is to continually integrate environmental mindfulness in our company by focusing on three key objectives:
- Offering green-alternative products and services to our customers
- Implementing sustainable business practices and making our print processes more efficient
- Encouraging employees and the community to support environmental stewardship
Although we’re proud of the practices we’ve implemented to protect natural resources, we recognize these are initial steps in a journey to becoming an industry leader in environmental stewardship.
Greener products and services
Prisma is a Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certified printer (FSCC023676) encouraging customers to use FSC® paper which is produced, harvested and sold to support environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests.
We use specially formulated vegetable-based and low VOC inks during the printing process. Vegetable inks are metal free and degrade almost four times as completely as standard petroleum inks. Vegetable inks also promote paper recycling because they can be removed more easily during the de-inking process. In addition, the waste that is left after de-inking is less hazardous.
Sustainable business practices
Prisma recycles nearly 1,700 tons of paper, cardboard and other materials each year, which saves:
- Enough water to fill 18 Olympic-sized swimming pools
- Fuel for 513 trips around the world
- Electricity to run 616 homes for a year
- Landfill space to cover a football field 1 foot high
- And 28,713 trees
Other ways we’ve increased our commitment to the environment include:
- Implementing AC units and a custom ventilation system that uses 15% less energy than standard systems
- Using a special web press dryer that releases 100% clean air and reduces natural gas consumption by 30% over other dryers
- Purchasing door mats made of 100% recycled tires and plastic water bottles
Employees are encouraged and rewarded for trip reduction practices, which have saved more than 1,000 commuter trips in 6 months
- Paper, plastic, aluminum, and cardboard waste are collected and recycled
- Employees are encouraged to bring recyclables to work if recycling is not offered at their residence
- A company-wide power-down policy promotes turning off computers, lights, air conditioning and heating, and other energy consumption devices at the end of the work day